The Finnish fortification (fortified defence node) is located not far from Medvezhegorsk, to the west of the town of Medvezhegorsk. It is translated from Finnish as Bear Mountain (karhu – bear; maki – mountain).
“Castle” Karhumäki was a system of circular defence of the Finnish army in 1942–1944 to the west of Medvezhegorsk, which was called “Mannerheim’s Second Line”. Nowadays the height 120.5 in Medvezhegorsk is the most famous fragment of the Finnish “Castle” Karhumäki, which is of great interest to everyone interested in military history. The remains of the Finnish defences have been preserved here: an artillery and machine-gun firing point (with a Soviet L-17 machine gun), an observation post, a machine-gun half-caponier with a shelter for infantry and a tunnel barracks. The most interesting preserved section of the “Dragon’s Teeth” anti-tank obstacle line is a fragment of the line of hollows, connecting with a shallow ditch and a long escarpment slope in the area of the former sanatorium.
The museum is a member of the Association of Private and People’s Museums of Russia.
Museum address: Republic of Karelia, Medvezhegorsk, Severnaya str.