We are welcoming a new member of the Association of Private and People’ Museums of Russia – the Centre of Military Glory of Petrozavodsk. The museum was founded by the OSNOVA Charitable Foundation.
The Centre of Military Glory in Petrozavodsk is a joint project of the Osnova Charitable Foundation, Founder Sergey Pirozhnikov, and the Administration of Petrozavodsk Urban District. The project was implemented with the support of the Relay of Generations Regional Culural Foundation and collector Valery Lazarev. The Centre of Military Glory of Petrozavodsk is an innovative platform for patriotic education, where artefacts of the city’s military history, resources and documents are presented. It is a lively community of people who want to study the history of their homeland, their city, their family.
The glorious military history of Petrozavodsk began in 1703 with the Petrovskaya Sloboda and the foundation of an arsenal factory for the Great Northern War. In 1704 the first cannon was casted. The Peter’s Works produced cannons, cannon balls, anchors and other cast iron military equipment. Revived at the end of XVIII century under the new name of Alexandrovsky factory, in the new provincial centre Petrozavodsk since 1786 it has started to produce cannons with OLONETS inscription, by which Russia has won 10 wars. Subsequently, the Alexandrovsky factory became a cannon foundry and for another century contributed to the military power of Russia.
Not without reason, Petrozavodsk became the only city in Russia named after a military factory. The military history of Petrozavodsk is connected with the glory of Olonets regiments and the Olonets militia in the Patriotic War of 1812, the Crimean War, the Russian-Turkish War of 1877-78 and the First World War. The events of the twentieth century have a special place in the history of the city, and the main exposition of the Centre of Military Glory of Petrozavodsk is devoted to them.